Remember to complete your Risk Assessment before opening!
The Government’s guidance for operating safely applies to those retail businesses currently open AND those who are currently closed but due to re-open on 4th July. This will help you to consider what your operation needs to look like when you begin to trade again.
In case you may have missed it, here’s the link to the Government’s Guide to Re-opening https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19
A Risk Assessment also is required to be completed prior to re-opening https://www.hse.gov.uk/simple-health-safety/risk/index.htm
Once the Risk Assessment has been completed and provisions put in place, you are then able to open and display the ‘Staying Covid-19 Secure‘ poster in your workplace. We will also be providing a copy of this poster within your Business Support Packs in case you haven’t got access to a printer or you haven’t yet managed to print it out.
It is important that this Risk Assessment is completed prior to opening.
If a Health & Safety Officer decides to do spot check visits you will be required to show that you have completed your Risk Assessment and that you are showing your poster as confirmation.
Other ways we are supporting you!
As well as the above Covid-19 Business Support Pack and #StaySafeInOtley Marketing Campaign, you will probably aware that throughout lockdown we have also been supporting our businesses in various ways:
- Regular Government updates via our social media, website and email
- Liaising with Leeds Council and helping businesses claim their grants
- ‘Otley Providing Essential Services‘ directory of businesses open during lockdown over a 2 month period via our website and social media
- #OtleyOpenForBusiness – daily promotional posts over a 2 month period on the Visit Otley and Otley BID social media platforms
- The resurrection of the website www.buyinotley.co.uk and the creation of an ongoing directory of businesses.
In addition to this we have now created the following additional support:
- A new ‘Welcome Back to Otley’ video featuring many different businesses around the town (see a selection of screen grabs above). The key messages are #StaySafeInOtley and #BeKindInOtley to help create a positive message that Otley is a safe place to come and shop and visit. We would be grateful if you can share this video both on your business and personal social media platforms once it is published on Visit Otley’s Facebook page.
- A new ‘Welcome Back to Otley’ newsletter which was circulated to all Otley households, businesses and the surrounding areas w/c 22nd June
- Finally, we have attached the #StaySafeInOtley messages to the red & white barriers you will have seen throughout town to enable social distancing.
The total cost for this support is in excess of £20,000. The funding for this has come from a joint collaboration between ourselves, we have contributed two thirds of the funding, and Otley Town Council and our Ward Councillors who have contributed the remaining third.
We appreciate this is a lot of money but we feel that it is the best way to both support our members in re-opening safely and efficiently, and building confidence with our residents and the general visiting public by promoting the town as a safe place to shop and visit.
We are here to help!
If you have any queries on the above, please contact us. Remember that we are here to help. You can contact us either on email to email@example.com, or via our social media platforms (Facebook or Twitter).
Let’s work together to #BeKindInOtley and most importantly #StaySafeInOtley.
Rachelle Atkin – Otley BID Champion
Otley Business Improvement District Ltd